Title

Fighting immigration issues, battling bridesmaids, and planning the wedding of my (our) dreams!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Let's talk about sex, baby

(Singing) Let's talk about you and me (end singing) That title got your attention, didn't it?



When I started going out with Mr. Tango, we knew it was different right away. We're both the type of people who have always had long-term relationships and tend to take it pretty slow. Not this time, nope. He moved in about 2 weeks after we started dating. Yup, that's right, 2 weeks. He didn't stop paying his rent but essentially moved in. Now, before you get the wrong idea about me - that does not mean I gave it up that easily/quickly. No way, José. But evidently other people interpreted it that way.

Oh, and by 'other people' - I mean his mom. Yup, that's right, his mom. When Tangs returned to Panama, his mom (and rest of the family) announced that they thought he was crazy. Leaving a girlfriend of 3 years who lives a couple blocks down the road for a girl he barely knew in another country? Loco. And then she proceeded to ask him 2 questions: "Are her boobs fake?" and "Well, the sex must be amazing, right?"

WHOA. Hold the phone. WTF? (pardon my French). That was my first real knowledge of/interaction with his family, and I have to admit there was a bit of shock. That's not the type of question most American moms would ask. My 'mom' in Uruguay, well yeah, but still....

(Mr. T and his parents visiting us in DC)
That actually was a good, honest introduction to his mom. She is wonderfully well-intentioned, has no shame whatsoever, and wants to know everything about her children and their lives. She will talk for hours and give you no room to chime in, but it's all because she wants to inform/help/etc... It definitely takes some getting used-to, especially for someone like me who definitely has not had that experience with my family. She drove me to and from work every day (1 hr each way) when I lived in Panama, without ever asking. She will buy presents for you whenever she's out because she's thinking of you. She always knows best. It can be a bit much (for Mr. T, especially); but la amamos (we love it/her).

I bet you didn't guess I'd be talking about my FMIL when you saw the title of this post! But hey, it goes how it goes. I'll write about me being prude some other time :)

What were your first experiences with your FS's family? Any good stories to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment