Title

Fighting immigration issues, battling bridesmaids, and planning the wedding of my (our) dreams!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dance, Dance, Resolution

(Source)
Mr. Tango and I love to dance. He's an incredible merengue/salsa dancer, and I can feel a beat. Dancing is actually one of the activities that brought us together initially, especially as we worked with a group of Latinos from all over the world. We'd go out dancing as a group and inevitably end up together at the end of the night. We even started dancing a little in celebration at our secret ceremony!

He's taught me a few moves in our living room; and I have taught him how to dance to hip-hop music - which is a totally different set of movements. Yet we're totally lost when it comes to our wedding music. We have a great band (salsa/merengue) and a DJ (English songs), but are very split when it comes to our first dance.

Mr. Tango loves the idea of a choreographed/fun first dance. He sent me this video and this one as examples. I have to admit to not being a fan. I love the idea of surprising people and having fun dancing, but I feel like we can do that without scaring the grandparents and making everyone stare at us for 6 minutes! And I do like the idea of having one song that we can hear for the rest of our lives and think of it as 'ours'.

So far, we're still undecided. We have agreed to take a dance class together, mostly so I can learn the 'real' salsa moves and not look like an idiot when his family dances with me. As great a dancer as he is, his teaching is not quite up to par. We bought a pass for 8 group classes and 1 personal lesson on Groupon (if you haven't heard of it yet - check it out. It's amaaazing) and will hopefully start in the next month or so. Maybe once we feel more comfortable with choreographed steps, I'll change my mind on this "first dance" thing... Or not.

What about you? Are you doing something creative for your first dance, or going the traditional route? What's your thinking on dance lessons prior to the big day?
(Personal photo - please excuse the sweaty hot mess look we have going on)

1 comment:

  1. Get royalty free music , videos for Wedding Photographers, Music Licensing , Wedding Videographers, Non-Profit Organizations, Music For Wedding, Ministries & Churches and Production Companies.

    ReplyDelete