Title

Fighting immigration issues, battling bridesmaids, and planning the wedding of my (our) dreams!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Involving the Groom.... Or Not

(Source)

Here's the deal: I'm an organized person. I like to have to-do lists, check them off, and move on. But with 6.5 months to go, there's a lot to do and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by where to start. And, like Miss Knitting, my groom is somewhat uninterested. I decided to have a sit-down with Mr. Tango last night to go over our plans, my feelings, and how to move forward with getting things done.


Mr. Tango will do what I ask when I ask him, but I hate having to ask for help with wedding stuff! Because of this, I've felt like I'm in charge of just about everything - which is much more difficult when the wedding is far away in a different country (that, not to mention, speaks a different language)! So here is what we decided to do, being the nerds that we are:

 


 

  1. Organize 'wedding time'. Once a week, no TV, just us talking about plans, to-dos, and whatever else. I think this is really important as it means I'm not constantly asking him wedding questions (which kind of stresses him out); and he has to pay full attention to wedding stuff once a week (which will make me less stressed).
  2. Excel Sheet Creation: I know, I have an Excel sheet for everything. But this one is a list of all the things we can think of that we need to do before the wedding: everything from finalizing the officiant and making our DIY cardbox to engraving our rings and making play/don't play song lists. It lists the task, who is responsible for getting it done (Him, Me, or Both), and the timeline it needs to be completed by. We walked through every item on the list to see what he was comfortable getting done, and what he didn't think was realistic for him. This way, I can take items off of my to-do list and not worry about them until he asks for input.... We both promised that we would be available for input on ALL items - just that one person is in charge for taking the lead to make it happen.
It's not much, but I do feel a little better now. It's nice to have some method to all of this madness, and to make sure we're on the same page. After all, this is one of the first of many projects we're going to have to tackle together!

How involved is your groom? Did you have to separate roles out, or did he take the initiative on his own? (It's okay to rub it in, really....). Any other strategies for involving the groom that you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment