Title

Fighting immigration issues, battling bridesmaids, and planning the wedding of my (our) dreams!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Craft Supplies and Crosswords

Yup, those items pretty much characterized my weekend. Mr. T and I went to Michaels to buy some necessities: ribbon, glue, a paper cutter, and a hole punch. Then we got to work.

(Random side note - I wholeheartedly recommend investing $20 in a paper cutter rather than using scissors for everything. The lines definitely come out straighter, and the time it saves is soooo worth the moola.)

You may remember that a couple of weeks ago I tried my hand at designing a crossword puzzle to get guests speaking to one another. We're hoping on making this a dual use to brighten up the tables, since the venue gives us white linens. While I like the computer design I did, printing it out made it clear they would not fit at the tables and just wouldn't really work in general. Le sigh. After numerous ways of cutting, folding, and organizing paper, here are what we came up with:

(All are personal pictures - thus the green paper that looks yellow for some reason)



And here's  how:

1. Create a crossword on http://www.armoredpenguin.com/ or a similar site
2. Create a .pdf of the image
3. Decide on a print layout, after lots of attempts (see below for ours)
4. Cut all pieces out of the main document
5. Cut the cardstock in half length-wise
6. Glue the 'Across' section on the bottom-most part of the document
7. Fold up directly above the 'Across' section
8. Glue the 'Down' section and the crossword directly above the fold
9. Glue the directions on the front flap (FYI - ours said "Try to answer these random tidbits about D&L... You may have to ask around!")
10. Hole punch (x2 on each) at the top of the cardstock
11. Tie a nice little bow on the top (easier said than done, btw).


12. Repeat, repeat, repeat. We've done 35... only another 175 or so to go :)



I really like how they're looking, especially with the nice new ribbon. Full disclosure - I'm wondering if it's worth all the time, given that I know how unneccessary they are and how many other things we need to do. Oh well - I've already begun!

Are you including any totally unnecessary items in your wedding? Are they worth it? (please say yes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment