Title

Fighting immigration issues, battling bridesmaids, and planning the wedding of my (our) dreams!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Gifting the Groom

What do you get the guy (or girl) who has completed you, and made your dreams come true? What do you get this person when his birthday is a week before the wedding and money is tight from said wedding? I have no idea!

I love giving gifts and tend to be pretty good at making them personal, so with 6.5 months to go, I know I need to start thinking about the whole 'groom's gift' thing. Via some forum browsing (e.g. WB research), I've found that some of the most common items are:
    (Source)
  • Cuff links
  • Boudoir Pictures
  • Watch
  • Love Letter
  • Sports something

He has nice watches, and doesn't wear cufflinks. I brought up the idea of boudoir photos a while back and he didn't seem too interested - a shame, given how empowering they seem to be for women. Oh well, it's not a gift for me.

His sports team is FB Barcelona (soccer), but we're not going to Spain anytime soon nor can we afford tickets - and he's not into their jerseys. Hmmm. I guess this leaves a love letter.

I will write a love letter. I do that for him on random days anyway and I always assumed I'd give him one on our big day. But I want to give him more, especially with all he's given me. So my most recent idea is a saxophone. It's not the most typical gift (and it would be a cheap one!), but here's my thinking:

(Source)
Mr. Tango's mom told him as a kid that if he wanted to get girls, he should play sax. He never did. He has told me on numerous occasions that he'd love to learn now, and regrets not having listened to his mom. He loves music and learning to play is on his Bucket List. So I was thinking my love letter could say something to the effect of promising to help him fulfill his dreams as he's done so much for mine. (And maybe something about already having gotten the girl?) Those both sound cheesy - I'll come up with something better.

What do you think? Is this a viable gift? Too cheesy? What are you getting the man of your dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment